Skip Search and Navigation

Department of Communication

Dept Logo

We are introducing a new minor in Film Studies and Production

Make an Appointment with an Advisor HERE

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

What are the minimum overall credit hour requirements that I must meet in order to graduate with a degree in communication?
You must have a minimum of 121 hours of credit in your degree program. At least 50 of these hours must be junior or senior level credits (i.e., 300 level courses or above).

What are the requirements for becoming a communication major?
You must finish Communication 201: Introduction to Communication with a C or better AND have an overall GPA of 2.0 or better to enter the Bachelor of Arts in Communication program. In order to be admitted into the Bachelor of Science program, you must complete Communication 201 with a C or better and have an overall GPA of 2.5 or better.

How do I apply to become a Communication major?
You fill out a form called Application to Major. You can find the form online at Go to the current students menu, Click on Online Services, then scroll down and click on the advising center link under Arts and Sciences. You must fill out this form to become an official communication major. If you meet the minimum requirements for the program you have selected, you will be admitted into the program.

When should I apply to become a Communication major?
Ordinarily, you should file to become a communication major once you have completed approximately 45 semester hours of coursework, including Communication 201: Introduction to Communication.

Why should I apply to become a communication major if I like my advisor in Arts and Sciences?
The advisors in Arts and Sciences are very good and have a broad knowledge in areas such general education requirements, transfer credits, and general University academic regulations. However, you should begin to consult with an advisor in your major once you begin considering elective courses in the major, choosing a potential minor, selecting supporting courses, and identifying potential internships, co-ops and professional opportunities in your chosen field of study.

How do I get assigned a departmental academic advisor?
You should set an appointment with either Professor Kandi Walker or Professor Mary Ashlock. Professor Walker is the director of undergraduate advising for the department and Professor Ashlock advises new majors. You can make an appointment with either of them on this website under the Professor Appointment link.

What is a WR course?
A WR course is a course that teaches about the WRiting process in a particular discipline. A WR designation has to do with "teaching writing in a discipline" not with the overall amount of writing that you may do in a course. The basic requirements of a WR course are:

  • use writing suited to the discipline
  • make writing assignments integral to the course
  • assign a minimum of 2400 words
  • give assignments in writing
  • allow class time for discussing assignments
  • provide comments, including recommendations for improvement, on graded papers
  • include research as a significant part of at least one assignment.

What are free electives?
Free electives are unrestricted electives that are a part of you degree program. These are courses that you can take in any discipline or level. Students in communication ordinarily have from 8 to 14 hours of free electives as a part of their program. If you transfer to U of L from another institution, some of your transferred courses may fall under the free-elective category.

Can I double count courses in meeting the CD and WR requirements?
Yes. A WR course can meet both the WR requirement AND another requirement in your major or supporting courses, such as a CD requirement. Communication 440 (Intercultural Communication), for example, satisfies both the WR and the CD2 requirements.

What kinds of courses count for the social science requirements under supporting courses?
Courses from the following departments can count under social science supporting credits requirements: Anthropology, Geography, History, Justice Administration, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology. In addition, some courses in Pan African Studies and Women's Studies courses also meet this requirement. Historically oriented courses in these two disciplines ordinarily count for social sciences whereas courses in the literature and the arts count for humanities credit.

What kinds of courses can count for my humanities electives under supporting courses?
Students are required to take 6 hours of 300 level electives in either the natural sciences or humanities. Most students take electives in the humanities because they have fewer prerequisites than natural science courses at the 300 level. Courses from the following departments can count for humanities elective credits: Art, English, Foreign Languages, Humanities, Music History, and Philosophy.

How much foreign language do I have to take as a part of the Bachelor of Arts degree?
The foreign language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts degree is the intermediate level of the language. For courses that occur in four hour blocks such as Spanish and French, this ordinarily entails three semesters of language study. If you take courses in a language that occur in three hour blocks per semester, you ordinarily take four semesters of the language. However, if you had a language in high school, you can take a placement test at the testing center that will place you in the appropriate course level. If you place out of the first or second class, you only need to finish the remaining courses in the sequence to complete the foreign language requirement.

How many hours can I take in communication as a part of my degree program?
You are not allowed to take more than 40 hours in communication as a part of the Bachelor of Arts degree. You are not allowed to take more than 48 hours in communication as a part of the Bachelor of Science degree. These totals do not include courses that meet the oral communication general education requirement such as Public Speaking, Business and Professional Speaking, or Interpersonal Skills.

I already have a lot of free electives. I need to take the most efficient route to graduation. What can I do?
You have several time saving options available. First, you should take an appropriate placement test for your foreign language if you took a language in high school. You may test out of a lower level course and thereby reduce the overall number of credits you need to meet the foreign language requirement. You should also be sure that courses that you take to meet CD and WR requirements also meet some other requirement in your degree program. Lastly, you may elect to take a social science course in statistics. The department allows the following courses to count for both the statistics requirement and a 300 level social science elective under supporting courses:, Justice Administration 326, Pan African Studies 408, Political Science 390, Psychology 301, and Sociology 301.

How do the requirements for a Bachelor of Arts in Communication and a Bachelor of Science in Communication differ?
The main difference between the two programs is that the Bachelor of Science program requires 12 additional hours in communication and requires fewer foreign language hours. The additional requirements in communication include a) taking an additional course in public speaking-Comm 302 or Comm 319; b) taking a course in media writing (i.e., Comm 320, Comm 323, Comm 345 or Comm 348 in addition to the the two WR courses required for general education requirements; c) taking an internship-Comm 317; and taking an additional level 300 level or above communication elective. The Bachelor of Science degree also has a higher minimum GPA requirement of 2.5.

Top of Page